VALÈNCIA, 19, 20 AND 21 OCTOBER 2017
Organized by: València City Council
About the Summit
The fundamental commitments of the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact make the pillars of a new opportunity for understanding, collaboration and dignity, i.e., a new ethical workspace for the local administration. The development of food systems which are sustainable, inclusive and human rights-based all over the world is the paradigm, the shared area where we will proudly address our energy and resources to, fully in accordance with the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations. We meant the gathering in València to clearly prove our mayors’ and mayoresses’ enormous decision-making capacity to the world. Present and future signatory cities are creating fairer, more coherent and better nurtured territories. In the course of the gathering, this transcendental achievement by local administrations should design a liveable environment and a global responsibility for future generations.
València’s summit should imply a decisive momentum in line with cities which are more united by the sustainability of local food systems and against the zero hunger challenge. A time has come for such a global strategy.
PARALLEL EVENTS PRIOR TO THE MAYORS’ SUMMIT
Final conference of the FAO – RUAF Foundation joint programme on Assessing and planning city region food systems (CRFS) and launch of toolkit of assessment tools.
- Meeting of the Working Group FOOD EUROCITIES
3er ANNUAL GATHERING AND MAYORS’ SUMMIT OF THE MILAN PACT 2017 (MUFPP – Milan Urban Food Policy Pact).
- Dialogue between cities: signatory cities of the Milan Pact will set forth their good practices. Representatives of several municipalities will present the way they planned nutrition and food safety in urban environments, and which governance models they have implemented. There will also be room for proposals concerning sustainability in dynamic agricultural systems and the relationship between the Milan Pact and the Sustainable Development Goals, and a way to finance them.
- Panel 1 –The role of cities in promoting sustainable food systems: Enhancing food security and nutrition for healthy and equitable territories.
- Panel 2 –New Approaches to Food Systems: The Milan Pact and implementation of the New Urban and 2030 Agendas (SDGs).
- MUFPP Indicator Framework
- Dinner at “Mercado Central” of València. A wonderful gastronomic experience offered by the social initiative FUNDACIÓN NOVATERRA and young participants of EATING CITY. By invitation only.
- Prominent Guests: several highly qualified experts will deal with the universal projection of sustainable food policies, Human Rights and their guarantees in what nutritional quality and safety are concerned.
- A Mayors’ Debate: Public representatives from all over the world will discuss the way their actions can improve the efficiency of urban food policies in order to get their respective national and regional milieux involved.
- Progress Report on the Urban Food Actions Platform.
- València Appeal: a call upon the United Nations General Assembly to have access to healthy and sustainable food recognized as a Universal Right comparable to the access of water, health or education.
- Prize-Giving Ceremony of the 2017 Milan Pact Awards: Those cities which were awarded in 2016 will present the results of their policies, and the recipients of the 2017 Milan Pact Awards will receive their prizes. València will salute the city in charge of hosting the IV Annual Gathering and Mayors’ Summit in 2018.
END OF 3er ANNUAL GATHERING AND MAYORS’ SUMMIT OF THE MILAN PACT 2017 (MUFPP – Milan Urban Food Policy Pact)
Reception at the ‘Salón de Cristal’, town hall of València. By invitation only.
PARALLEL EVENTS AFTER THE MAYORS’ SUMMIT
- Knowledge Transfer: the last day will ease knowledge transfer, the exchange of ideas and the promotion of cooperation throughout interactive morning sessions. In the course of these sessions, mayors and their technical teams will meet members from the Social and Scientific Committee or representatives from other municipalities in workgroups thematically organized: climate change, public policies and healthy diets, sustainable urban food systems and sustainable cities.
- Gathering of City Networks Committed to Sustainability and Local Development. City networks, such as C40, The Global Parliament of Mayors, will gather to exchange experience, projects and knowledge.
- València: Models for sustainable management.
IMPORTANT: Access to the venue and activities of the event will be subject to prior confirmation.